Sunday, February 13, 2011

Roggenbauer

This weekend I finally found the time to bake bread again :-) I've been meaning to bake real rye bread like you can buy it in the bakeries in Austria for a while. Although it wasn't exactly very easy to make I am very pleased with the result. Its not perfect yet and I think that next time I might decrease the first fermentation time to only 12 hours and add at least one tablespoon of honey. I also might switch the whole wheat flour for regular flour.




The recipe was based on this one but I made some changes and ended up with the following recipe.

Rye sourdough

* 115 g rye flour
* 115 g water
* 1 package of sourdough starter (I recently discovered that in a store)

Dough

* Sourdough
* 250 g rye flour (I needed quite a bit more because it was impossible to knead the dough)
* 50 whole wheat flour
* 25 g regular flour
* 240 g water
* 5 g instant yeast
* 10 g salt
* 1 tbsp molasses

Mix all the ingredients for the sour dough and let mature for 12-15 hours at room temperature. Knead all the ingredients for the main dough and the sour dough starter for about 5 minutes. The result is an extremely soft and sticky dough. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes. Then put the dough into a well floured basket and let sit for about 40 minutes. Bake at 250 ° C for about 40 minutes.


No comments: